A website building platform is a computer application which allows publishing, editing, deleting, modifying content, maintenance as well as organizing from a central interface. These systems of content management will provide procedures that manage work flow.
These platforms have the following uses:
i. They are used to run websites containing news, blogs, and shopping.
ii. They also store and organize files, and provide version-controlled access to their data.
iii. Some platforms serve as a central repository that contains documents, pictures, movies, phone numbers and scientific data.
iv. They can be used for storing, revising, controlling, enriching and publishing documentation.
1. The Content management application (CMA),this is the front-end interface for users and allows a user, even with the lack of expertise or limited expertise, to change, add and remove content from a Web site without the Webmaster’s intervention.
2. The Content delivery application (CDA) which compiles information and updates the Web site.
Benefits of using website building platforms:
1. They can facilitate the cost-effective development of business sites.
2. They make it easier to manage websites even without having the technical knowledge of web development.
3. They make it easy to add and manage content on sites like linking web pages to certain domains, editing pages, updating content, multimedia and uploading images.
4. They offer a choice of styles, colors, features and appealing built-in themes. They also offer plug-ins and templates that can help develop a site in lesser time and this greatly enhances the overall user experience.
5. The platforms can support many websites at the same time, as well as providing support to multiple users
Common website building platforms are:
WordPress – This is the most accessible and most commonly used, it can be quickly installed and has a large diverse user and developer community.
Joomla – This is very customizable and is suitable for any purpose. It is often used by small and medium businesses, by large organizations and individuals.
ModX – This is easy to use and can allow non-technical staff to create content.
Drupal – This is one of the first choices when building a new website. It has thousands of modules that can be added to increase functionality.
DotNetNuke – This is more suited to Windows servers, and it is easy to customize a web application in DotNetNuke.
Finally, in choosing a website building platform you need to consider your expectations, your aims and the purpose of the website.